I saw somewhere the following question and decided to share the results of some of the resulting firings of my neurons:
In your opinion, how would a perfect ad network look like?
This blog and my entire Web site is currently working with Google AdSense ad network. It appears to do pretty good job, but the following could improve it:
- Option to forward all ad requests or part of them to the Webmaster for vetting. Sometimes it is obvious to the Webmaster that an ad will not be effective on a particular Web site.
- Option for the Webmaster to specify a recommended location for an ad in his Website, overriding the ad network’s choice.
- Better reporting to the Webmaster of clickthroughs on specific ads in specific locations, to help the Webmaster optimize his overriding decisions.
- Effective mechanism for ad publisher to complain that clickthroughs from a particular Web site yielded no income and should not be compensated for – this will ensure that the Webmasters are kept honest.
- Effective mechanism for Webmasters to know whether ad publishers abused the mechanism of repudiating clickthroughs as yielding no income – to keep them honest, according to the Webmasters’ point of view.